Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mail Day!

It's fun to live away from home, but it's annoying to get important mail a month after it was important.

I have been having the biggest headache with AFLAC all summer. We had it set up to be withdrawn from our credit card, which was fine until the card expired. I didn't get a call or an email or anything, I got a letter. At my parents' house in Utah. I called them once I realized I hadn't been charged, and that call started the downward slope of my financial summer.

1st call - May 2008
Me: Can I change my direct deposit info? My credit card that the payments have been coming from has expired.
AFLAC: Sure no problem. We'll need to get 3 months of payment from you to get that set up again. I can take that over the phone whenever you're ready.
Me: 3 months? I'm not quite that rich right now. Can I call you in a few weeks after we get paid?
AFLAC: That won't be a problem. Call us back and we'll take your payment over the phone from your credit card and get your direct withdrawal set back up.

2nd call - June 2008
Me: I'm just calling to pay my 3 month premium so I can get set back up on direct withdrawal. Can you take that over the phone?
AFLAC: No and I don't know who told you we could. We need you to send in a check for 2 months of payment and once that's been processed we'll be able to set you up on direct withdrawal from a bank account. We can't set it up through a credit card.
Me: I'm worried because my payment is due in a few days; will it be late if I mail it in?
AFLAC: It just needs to be postmarked before it's due. Send in 2 months of payment for each policy and we'll process that and get you set up on direct withdrawal.

3rd call - July 2008
Me: I sent in a check a few weeks ago for 2 months of payment so I could get set up on direct withdrawal. They said to call back after a few weeks so it could have time to process. Could you check the status and help me get set up on direct withdrawal?
AFLAC: Well it looks like we have your one policy, but the other two were cancelled for lack of payment.
Me:...can you fix that? I sent in 2 months of payment for all three policies.
AFLAC: It looks like you did but they applied it all to the first policy. Let me get that fixed. I'm also going to fax you a sheet you need to fill out to get set up on direct withdrawal. Fax that back and we can get it processed right away.

4th call - Today
Me: Um...I just got a check for an overage payment to my policy. This money was supposed to be transferred to my other two policies so they would no longer be cancelled.
AFLAC: Looks like you're right. Let me get that fixed.
Me: I'm also checking to see if my direct withdrawal was set up.
AFLAC: We need you to send in 2 months of payment and then we can set that up for you.

Are you serious? This is the first time I've ever gotten the run-around from a company before, and it's kind of annoying. The biggest problem is it's not something I can just say "Well forget YOU loserface" and cancel, because I need to cash in on these policies for all this time and trouble to be worth it. *sigh* At least the lady I talked to today sounded completely competent and gave me my ticket number and everything, so hopefully we'll get this straightened out once and for all.

My advice: NEVER SET UP DIRECT DEPOSIT ON A CREDIT CARD BECAUSE IT WILL EXPIRE AND NO ONE WILL TELL YOU.

Our phone bill was also late in May for the same reason. Checking accounts FTW!

1 comment:

Zak, Hilary and Riley said...

When all else fails... Get Gephardt!

I had a MAJOR problem sorta like that. I was paying my Credit Card with my Debit Card. It expired and tried to change it to taking it straight from our checking account, instead of from the Debit... even tho it was the same money. We had everything else Not on the Debit and wanted my CC set up that way too.

Long story short they ended up Double billing me 3 months in a row, causing overdrafts and eventually causing UCCU to close my checking account. Those stinkers. Its actually really complicated but I wont bore you.