Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Yumminess

Today was epic win for a number of reasons. I'm just going to put it all in this post.

Epic win #1: Keeping the kids happy while I cook.
I have a hard time at lunch most days. I really want to cook something amazing for myself, but my 7 month old screams whenever I put him down. It's hard to cook with one hand. Anyway today I combined an old project I never really finished with one I saw on Pinterest a few weeks ago and came up with something awesome!



This worked great until Rachel yanked a puzzle piece out of Reuben's hand and then the board fell over onto him. But it should be golden tomorrow!

Epic win #2: Lunch.
I mentioned earlier the book I've been reading about nature foods. In the sweet potato chapter it mentioned an idea I'd never thought of before: instead of adding butter or sour cream to mashed sweet potatoes, throw in an avocado. Genius! I love avocado. The author of the book talks about using avocados a lot in place of butter or other fats. Such a yummy fruit, and good for you (fats aside hehe). So here's what I did:
1. Wash potato. I decided not to peel it today after reading about all the good stuff in the skins, so I washed it really well.
2. Cut into 1 inch pieces and boil. I cut off some gross parts as well.
3. Drain and mash.
4. Add avocado and mash into potato.
That's it! It was so yummy! I did two small/medium sweet potatoes and one avocado.



I gave some to Rachel as well. She's been doing really well with fruits at lunch lately, but I'd love it if she would eat more veggies so I thought we'd try this out. She wasn't a huge fan, but she ate a good amount of it.



The best part of it was that it was all natural with no milk products, so Reuben got to share it with me. He loved it!



Keep in mind, if you're planning to feed this to a baby, that this is straight potato. When you feed a baby from a jar of baby food, it's diluted with water so he can eat a lot more. Reuben only ate about 5 or 6 bites of this before his tummy was all full.

No comments: